THE 5th ANNUAL CRMPI PERMACULTURE ACADEMY
August 11-19, 2018!
Dear Agent of Change – yes, you!
We don’t need to tell you that times are dire. We’ve all seen the warnings from too many agencies, flagging the collapse of species, ecosystems, oceans…even predicting the collapse of the biosphere.
But there’s a hidden condition: “If we keep going in the direction we’re taking…”
Here at CRMPI, we’ve chosen to take another direction. For the past 30 years we’ve been building a lush, resilient and improbably diverse local ecosystem of food forests and tropical gardens using the principles of permaculture. And we’ve taught these principles to thousands of students – some of whom are leading permaculture instructors themselves – through the standardized Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) program and our own related courses.
Our students are creating, restoring and maintaining healthy, productive local ecosystems all across the globe!
But let’s be honest: the permaculture learning curve can be long. The PDC is a good foundation, but ongoing training and hands-on practice are needed before students have the knowledge to handle complex projects. The PDC is not a pre-requisite for any of the Academy modules.
So, for the fourth year, we are offering two immersion intensives in our unique Permaculture Academy: a 9-day, 2-course, in-depth training in key elements of permaculture practice:
- August 11-14: Designing and Managing High-Altitude/Low Energy Use Greenhouses (4 days)
- August 15: Day of rest; no class
- August 16-19: Creating Forest Gardens (4 days)
- August 20: FREE Graywater Installation Demonstration
This is one of the most in-depth Permaculture Programs currently offered anywhere, taught by leading professionals in the field. It’s designed to shorten the introductory learning curve and send you out with the working, practical knowledge you need to start putting permaculture into practice.
Whatever your level of interest – whether you want to reclaim an urban lot, turn your back 40 into a food forest, or take the first steps toward a career in design and consulting – this Academy can suit your need. You may choose to attend all of the modules, or pick and choose the modules you would like to attend.
What does the Academy offer you?
First of all, you won’t be just learning abstract theory! You’ll be fully immersed in the permaculture life at one of the finest demonstration sites in North America, experiencing the results of 30 years of organic cultivation and state of the art, low energy use greenhouses. You’ll eat delicious organic food from mature forest gardens, witness rainwater catchment, use and maintain composting toilets, enjoy light and warmth from passive and active solar technology, and participate in small animal husbandry as you camp in vigorous and healthy poly-culture systems at 7200′ elevation.
If your idea of greenhouses is limited to the seasonal garden store variety – steaming in summer, freezing in winter – you’re about to see a world of new possibilities! Imagine harvesting tropical fruits in regions with short growing seasons…growing your own food year-round wherever you are…growing a perennial poly-culture (multiple crops in the same space) to increase your yield exponentially! This course, taught by greenhouse visionary Jerome Osentowski, encapsulates years of practical experience in just five days of hands-on instruction in all aspects of high-altitude greenhouse design, installation and maintenance. We’ll talk about:
- Designing greenhouses for residential and commercial use (featuring guest speaker – Architect Michael Thompson, Jerome’s partner in Ecosystem Designs LLC)
- Integrating the revolutionary, solar-powered Climate Battery technology
- Coordinating design, construction, and planting schedules
- Designing and installing water systems
- Setting up and maintaining your greenhouse as a contained ecosystem
- Stacking functions to make your greenhouse more efficient
- Incorporating vermiculture to fertilize the soil
- Harvesting and processing the food you’ve grown
Tuition for this module is $700. Send us the full tuition, or $400 to reserve a spot in the course!
Imagine designing and creating a virtual Garden of Eden – a natural, self-sustaining forest ecosystem of interdependent plants and animals – an environment specifically designed to support human and non-human life. That’s what we’ll be doing in this course! This is a unique opportunity to spend time in the 26-year- old, high-altitude forest garden at CRMPI during the spring season when many of the over 150 varieties of trees and shrubs will be fruiting. We’ll walk through a tour of CRMPI, then settle down to discussing topics like these:
- Designing a forest garden
- Implementing the infrastructure (rock wall construction and trellising)
- Developing the forest, from vines to overstory
- Maintaining soil with vermiculture
- Integrating plant/animal guilds
- Providing water
- Harvesting food
- Processing your harvest
Tuition for this module is $700. Send us the full tuition, or $400 to reserve a spot in the course!
Together these modules will give you hands-on experience in designing and constructing forest gardens and greenhouses…experience that will place you ahead of the curve whether you take them alone or following our PDC program in July!
Free bonus day – greywater system installation, August 20th
Taught by greywater expert Avery Ellis, this day of learning will cover a full installation of a home greywater system from start to finish. You will leave this day with ample knowledge to plan and install your own greywater system from your bath, shower, sink, or washing machine, to the thirsty plants in your garden (as the design of your home allows).
End the days of disposing of this perfectly usable water, save your local waste water treatment plant some work, and provide your garden with some bonus hydration, every time you turn on the sink or wash your clothes!
This day is free of charge, and is open to all. Attendance of the Permaculture Academy is not required.
This is a one-of-a-kind training, on a site that is unique in the world! CRMPI is celebrating 31 years on Basalt Mountain this summer and is one of the oldest permaculture demonstration sites in the United States. You’ll be learning from an all-star faculty of veteran permaculturists and local practitioners:
- As CRMPI founder, Jerome Osentowski has extended sustainable greenhouse technology and forest gardening beyond the bounds of the possible. After training thousands of permaculture practitioners – some of whom are now leaders in the field – he’s now helping a local community college to develop a full-semester permaculture course.
- Stephanie Syson of Dynamic Roots specializes in understory plants, perennial polyculture, and medicinal herbs.
- Avery Ellis, owner of Colorado Greywater, is a sustainability specialist and ecological designer. He has a Masters degree in Ecological Design through SFIA and a BS in Biology & Sustainability through Stockton College. He is also a Certified Permaculture Designer and Teacher and a Certified Greywater Installer.
- Michael Thompson is a Colorado-licensed architect, with 30 years of experience designing buildings in the high Rocky Mountains. His passion for design is focused on land planning in concert with Nature, and on energy productive buildings, including greenhouses for growing food year-round in cold climates, as well as passive and active solar buildings. Michael is also passionate about the arts of home brewing, cooking, gardening and fruit tree management.
Tuition for both modules costs $1400 (or $700 for one module) and includes meals, camping (bring your own gear), and all curriculum materials.
To reserve your spot in the course please fill out the registration form linked below, and send a non-refundable $400 deposit by check (mail to CRMPI; PO Box 631; Basalt, CO 81621). We also accept payment by PayPal (to firstname.lastname@example.org) or credit card (call us at 970-456-3480) but we must ask you to please add a 2.9% surcharge to cover the fees we are charged for electronic payment methods.
Tuition paid in full before February 15th, 2017 will receive a $100 discount. Couples who register together receive a $100 ($50 each) discount.
Please plan to arrive on the afternoon of July 7th to get oriented and to set up camp. Classes will run from 9am to 6pm daily. Wednesday July 12th will be a day of rest; we encourage you to take the opportunity to explore the beautiful Roaring Fork Valley.
*Please note: your registration in the course is not confirmed until you have sent in a deposit
and then send us cash or check, or pay online below!!
(for online payment, deposit and tuition prices include a 2.9% fee for the PayPal charge)
CRMPI is located within a privately owned homestead. The main house serves as the space for most meals and all indoor lecture. Unfortunately space is limited and the classroom can get quite cramped. We are aware of this and hope to update our classroom space in the future when finances permit. There is access to Wi-Fi in and around the main homestead. There are two indoor showers that are used by staff, but will be open to students during their stay. Also provided are solar showers and a private, outdoor showering area. Students will be asked to contribute to keeping our common spaces tidy and clean – no outside housecleaning services will be brought in!
On the property are 20+ campsites. Please bring all your own gear for camping and respect neighboring properties by not trespassing beyond our property lines.
Although we have two composting toilets, they have proven inadequate in the past for the influx of people during the PDC. Until we can build more, we must rent portable toilets during the course. Students are welcome to use either.
More details will be supplied to students before the course starts.
If you’ve been watching the headlines and wondering – What can I do? – this is your answer!
Permaculturists see it time and again: by restoring the land, you shift the dance of earth, air and water, shifting local weather patterns…and ultimately, climate. Food forests, greenhouses, and water conservation systems offer food security and safety to your family and community in uncertain times. Simple steps add up to a groundswell of change!
This is the time to embrace hope…embrace possibility…and empower yourself to help in creating a different world. Don’t wait. Dare to change your future.
Questions? Call Jerome directly at (970) 927-4158, or email Jerome@crmpi.org